Yesterday marked the beginning of a mammoth celebration in aid of legendary MMO RuneScape’s 20th anniversary. 300 million player accounts and 7,306 consecutive days of gameplay later, the medieval fantasy genre stalwart is poised to engage in an entire year of revelry in the form of themed game content in both RuneScape and its nostalgic sister title Old School RuneScape.
You may think that a year-long celebration for 20 years is excessive, but when you realise that RuneScape is 3 years older than even World of Warcraft and still going strong, it’s easy to view RuneScape as an elder of the MMO world. So respect your elders and party.
Here’s the itinerary for what’s in store:
- The Grand Party – Launched yesterday, this nostalgic soiree brings together some of the most iconic RuneScape characters including the Wise Old Man and the Sandwich Lady. Swing by and grab your party bag (Area buffs and collectible in-game rewards including the 20th Anniversary Cape and Outfit).
- Multi-part anniversary quest – Once Upon a Time is a 4-part series set to span the whole year, diving into the past, present and future of RuneScape beginning on 25th January with the prologue entitled ‘Foreshadowing’.
- The Elder Gods story arc – A narrative set to pick up steam throughout the year as the conflict with the creators of the universe intensifies.
- RuneScape launches on mobile – Following its successful early-access stint on Android and closed beta on iOS, the mobile rendition of RuneScape is set to launch with full cross-platform compatibility in 2021.
- Old School RuneScape – Beginning its Green Gnome Child event starting tomorrow 6th January. Players can embark on an adventure with the Green Gnome Child through familiar RuneScape locales in order to unlock the Realm of Memories and plenty of rewards.
- RuneScape: The First 20 Years – An Illustrated History – A book set for publication by Dark Horse Books in partnership with Jagex will offer an illustrated behind-the-scenes look at RuneScape over the past two decades including exclusive interviews. Pre-orders coming soon.
- Commemorative collectibles – Laced Records in partnership with Jagex will soon release a gold vinyl pressing of the RuneScape: Original Soundtrack Classics album featuring 24 of the most beloved midi tracks from RuneScape and Old School RuneScape. Superfans can also get their mitts on limited-edition collectibles including a Tutorial Island pin badge, with more anniversary-themed items to be revealed throughout the year. For now, the album and first of the collectibles are available for pre-order via the RuneScape merch store.
MMOGames.com is committed to bringing you all the freshest, funniest, and most insightful MMO news. If you enjoyed this content, why not share it with your community? And make sure that you never miss our updates and exclusive giveaways by following and favouriting us on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.